Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Transit of Venus Underway...



The 2012 Transit of Venus is underway as of 5:09 PM CDT. I've circled Venus's shadow on the sun on the 2nd image above.
Here is another impressive view from NASA showing Venus silhouetted against the sun's corona:



You can see a very short time lapse video of the above shot here:


If you'd like to watch the action live on your computer, I recommend this link:  http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/webcasts/nasaedge/

I'll also be posting some videos and photos from time to time on facebook and twitter this evening...so please follow me there (at the links below) if you are interested...

It seems silly to have to say this, but your mom was right.  If you choose to view this personally, remember never to stare directly at the sun!  You can find some safe viewing tips here.


For more information, including "live blogging" during rapidly changing weather events, please be sure to follow me on facebook and/or twitter:


 

No comments: