Monday, May 23, 2011

Severe Weather Update - NE Oklahoma


The severe thunderstorm over western Osage county is showing signs of increasing rotation on radar.  No ground reports have been received as of yet, however radar indicates that a tornado could occur at any time.  The circulation on radar (white circle on image below) is currently located very near Fairfax, and moving East to East/Northeast at 25-30 mph.


Remember, when looking at the velocity data (bottom image), reds show wind blowing away from the radar, and greens show wind blowing toward the radar.  The radar site is located toward the right center of the screen (at the light blue "KINX").

Seek shelter if you are in the path of this storm.   After passing Fairfax, it will generally be in rural areas between Fairfax/Gray Horse and Wynona to Pawhuska.

Other storms are developing further East along the old outflow boundary, very near Tulsa and to points East.  None of this activity is severe as of yet, but could become so quickly...

10 comments:

Rob White said...

Planet Pink (and anyone else out there who would like to comment on this), I often wonder how you subscribe to or view my posts. Do you get any form of alert when I make a new post, or are you manually checking the blog periodically?

The reason I ask is that I often wonder if, in a situation like this evening, I should just keep updating the same post (i.e., "Northeast Oklahoma Severe Weather Update") or make a new post each time that I give an update.

Thanks...and stay safe!

The Planet Pink said...

I just keep refreshing my screen. :-) I think the easiest way for me to keep track would be if you added the "follow by email" widget that blogger offers (hit Design, then Add A Gadget - it should be the first option). Then I would be alerted by email each time you posted.

As for updates on ongoing situations, I think that perhaps new posts would be best. Otherwise I wouldn't necessarily know a post was updated. Does that make sense?

Rob White said...

Thanks! I just added that. Don't know why I hadn't before. It's below the "About Me" box.

That's what I thought on the updates as well. I'll probably only update an existing post when it's a post-event situation (i.e,. the Joplin tornado - I've had over 600,000 page views of that post in the last 24 hours), and update live/ongoing weather situations with new posts each time.

Thanks again!

The Planet Pink said...

holy cow that's alot of views!!

Anonymous said...

I subscribe to the RSS feed so I get them all that way. Thanks for your work, we appreciate it in a rural area where the media ignores us (northwest Arkansas)!

Charles S.

Anonymous said...

This is great but would you please tweet your posts every time? I noticed you don't always do that.

Live by Tweet or die, I always say!

Thanks!

Rob White said...

Anonymous/Twitter fan, that's a good point. I don't always do that, and am not really sure why. I'll effort at doing that with every post from now on....

Rob White said...

Charles, in my experimenting with RSS feeds, I don't get the updates, just the original post the first time. What are you using, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,

Rob White said...

Planet pink, that's an all time blog record. I couldn't believe it! Only the Tuscaloosa / Birmingham tornado posts even come close to that one so far. That post where I ripped into the weather channel for showing a movie during the Little Rock tornado last year got a lot of views, too...

Oh well, back to the radar...

Shamrock said...

I too keep track by refreshing my screen :)