Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Severe Weather Update - Western Oklahoma

The storms that we reported were developing an hour ago have continued to organize and intensify and are now producing rotation according to the radar.  Below is the latest image from the OKC area radar.  Tornado Warnings are in affect for the areas within the purple polygons:




Current average movement is North/Northeast at 35 mph, but as these storms mature over the next hour, they are likely to start making a "right turn" more toward the East.


If you live along the current path, or to the right of the current path, of these storms, please seek shelter immediately as a tornado could form at any time.  Very large hail is also likely with this activity.

3 comments:

The Planet Pink said...

I am amazed that Tulsa county is not in a tornado watch yet! I imagine it is coming soon though.

Rob White said...

I don't know who the lead forecaster will be at the SPC this evening (evening shift is 4pm-Midnight). Yesterday evening it was Rich Thompson. He tends to wait a little longer than some of the others, I've noticed. On a day like today though, I'd expect a watch at least an hour before the area could potentially have storms approaching from the West.

If my timeline from earlier is still on track (which it appears to be at this time), an hour before would be in the 5-6pm timeframe, give or take 30 minutes...

Shamrock said...

Oh Planet Pink....I have been thinking of you all day. How are you doing? I am so happy to see you blogging with us!